Health officials in Chon Buri are warning workers and nearby residents to wear face masks after a chemical fire at the deep seaport in Laem Chabang. According to a Nation Thailand report, a container of acid chemicals caught fire at 10 am yesterday, August 29.
It’s understood the 9 tonne container was being used to store dangerous chemicals from the JWD Company inside a compound at the deep seaport in the Si Racha district. According to Chon Buri public health inspector Suthep Phetmak, the container held 378 boxes of organic peroxides, which are classified as acid chemicals. The boxes weighed 18 kilos each.
Dr Opas Karnkawinpong from the Health Ministry says the resulting blaze released a strong odour, covering a large area around the port, and lingering even after the fire had been extinguished.
183 workers have been evacuated from the site, with 6 treated for breathing difficulties. Following first-aid treatment, the workers were transported to a nearby hospital. In addition, health officials have checked on 54 workers at the control tower and another 23 in the parking area of Toyota Motors, but none were found to have breathing difficulties.
Health officials have also checked on residents within a 5-kilometre radius of port but there have been no reports of anyone becoming unwell as a result of the blaze. Nevertheless, the official advice is for residents to wear face masks when leaving home and to inform community leaders or health volunteers if they develop breathing difficulties.
SOURCE: Nation Thailand