The leader of the Move Forward Party, which won the most seats in the May 14 general election, says there was no reason to block his re-nomination as PM at his second attempt. Pita Limjaroenrat says his name could have been re-submitted for a second vote in the joint sitting of parliament and that there was no need to wait for a court ruling.
On July 19, the re-submission of Pita’s name for the PM job was rejected by MPs and senators, who cited a House regulation that prohibits a previously-rejected motion being re-submitted in the same parliamentary session, unless there has been a change in circumstances.
Those who opposed Pita’s name being re-submitted claimed that, as he failed to get enough votes the first time round on July 13, the regulation should be enforced. MFP supporters disagreed, with the Office of the Ombudsman subsequently submitting a petition to the Constitutional Court. The court has yet to decide if it will deliberate the matter.
Pita insists that under House regulations, he remains eligible for the PM job and doesn’t need to wait for a court ruling. However, he says now is not the time to have his name submitted, as MFP has stepped aside to allow Pheu Thai to take over forming a government. He adds that he remains ready to lead the country one day.
“If (the country) wants a new generation to work for them, I’m ready. I’ve been preparing for it and want to show our country can go further than this.”
“If you were and are impressed by our performance as an opposition party, we can deliver more as a government.”
SOURCE: Bangkok Post