Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

HOME // Phuket News // Major fire forces temporary closure of Project Artisan restaurant

Major fire forces temporary closure of Project Artisan restaurant

PHOTO: MGR Online

A renowned Phuket restaurant, popular with tourists, Thais, and the local expat community alike, has been destroyed by fire. The restaurant was located between Cherng Talay and Thalang, surrounded by upscale villas and hotels.

The Slovakian owners of Project Artisan, Martin and Michaela Michalik, have issued a statement on social media confirming the temporary closure of the venue, which is situated in the Layan area, in the northern sub-district of Chergntalay.

“Yesterday we were at the mercy of forces bigger than us. We are totally devastated as there is a significant amount of fire damage, but the main thing is that everyone is safe. It’s going to take us some considerable time to get back up and running, but we have the best team and we will be back stronger than ever!”

Khaosod English reports that the fire broke out at around 1.30pm on Sunday, December 3, while it was busy with customers. According to eyewitness reports, customers seated outside saw smoke coming from the roof and when they ran inside to see what was happening, they realised the venue was on fire.

The customers, who were mostly foreign nationals, panicked and fled, while restaurant staff tried to extinguish the blaze. However, the fire was too big and the entire restaurant suffered severe damage.

PHOTO: The Phuket News

According to the Khaosod English report, the restaurant was built on a steel structure of around 15 metres in height. The fire appears to have started in the roof, which was destroyed, before spreading down to other pieces of equipment and eventually the entire restaurant.

It took firefighters around half an hour to get the blaze under control and damages are expected to be around 15 million baht. The area has been sealed off by Cherngtalay Police, who are working with Phuket Forensic Police to establish the cause of the fire.

According to police, just before the fire broke out, Mr Michalik and his chef, Wachara Chandra, noticed smoke coming from a range hood motor mounted on the ceiling. It’s understood they then saw a spark and within 2 minutes, the entire roof, reportedly made of flammable materials, was on fire.

SOURCE: Khaosod English

Advertisement Phuket Go Advertisement sidebar_1

TRENDING

5 Star Marine Phuket

You May Also Like

Phuket News

Tuesday, February 27, 2024 – Phuket weather forecast Increasing cloud today with a corresponding increase in winds from east. The slightly overcast conditions should...

Phuket News

Friday, March 1, 2024 – Phuket weather, sunset times, air quality and tides (7am) Some unsettled weather for the next few days but still plenty...

National News

UPDATE: There has been another NOTAM (Notice to Air Missions) issued in the past 24 hours which changes Item 5, which MAY provide an...

Phuket News

While many Russians have been investing in villas and homes in Thailand, there are also thousands of Russians and Ukrainians who are stranded in...